Concert Series - Ringo Starr


In March it was announced that Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band were going to play the Fraze Pavillion on July 2nd. My granddaughter is a drummer and Ringo is her favorite drummer and also her favorite Beatle so it was a no brainer that I had to get tickets for us to go. Her birthday was close to the concert date which made for a perfect gift but it was all I could do to keep the secret. 7th row center seats, I was thrilled and I knew she would be too. The day finally came and she was overwhelmed when she got her ticket. Now the fun was to begin! As I have mentioned before The Beatles are my favorite band. Being an only child in the country with only 3 tv stations I turned to music at an early age for entertainment. I was at the prime age when The Beatles hit the big time to fall in love like so many other gals. Who knew they would have such an impact at the time but that's another story. When my granddaughter was born I decided I wanted her to listen to them at an early age also and I would play them for her while she turned into a prune in the tub. Now at 12 she is as big a fan as I am. Although John is my favorite Beatle (we all have one, don't we), who doesn't love Ringo, no one I know! I was as excited to see him as she was!

Ringo played the same venue 6 years ago and as luck would have it Ashley also got to go to that show with her papaw. Of all times to oversleep, I overslept the morning tickets went on sale. What??? I couldn't believe it either! I had plans to go with my best friend so I went ahead and got lawn seats which I knew I could pass on to someone if I just couldn't stand the thought of the lawn for my first Ringo show. Of course I couldn't so I got on StubHub later and got us some closer seats. My husband decided he would take Ashley to the concert that time around since there were extra tickets. She was only 6 at the time so I wasn't sure it was a good idea but he assured me they would be fine. They went early and ended up with great lawn seats. The band consisted of Billy Squier, Colin Hay, Edgar Winter, Gary Wright, Hamish Stuart and Gregg Bissonette that year. He said he would ask her if she had heard that song and if she liked it after they would play one and she finally told him that she liked them all and he didn't have to ask after every song. The other night the running joke was that she had heard that song and that yes she did like it! She said nothing would make her happier than to go see Ringo every 6 years or anytime she could for that matter.

It was hot when we left so we decided to keep the top up on the convertible and put it down on the way home. I told her about Jennifer and I getting caught in a rainstorm on the way home before and getting drenched. We agreed we would chance it. We stopped around the corner from the venue for pizza and while we were there a huge rainstorm came through. I made the best of it by drinking a beer and she made the best of it by playing on my iPhone. She also ended up winning 3 stuffed animals. Our seats weren't even wet when we got there. We were lucky so far. Even Ringo posted about it on his Facebook page....


We arrived early enough to get a chocolate chip cookie and a T-shirt for the birthday girl which said Ringo For President (she thought it was a great idea) and a beer for me. She wanted to dip her toes in the water awhile so we sat and watched all the folks coming in heading to the lawn. Lots of cool Ringo and Beatles T-shirts and Ashley got some compliments on hers. We even saw a young man dressed as Ringo when he was in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, pink and all. We couldn't help but laugh. Actually I don't think either of us stopped smiling all night over one thing or another!

We headed to our seats and had the best time! We danced, sang and laughed throughout the evening. Todd Rungren was a real showman. I hadn't had the pleasure of seeing him before other than on tv which made me think of a story about my dad coming home from work one night while I was watching Todd Rungren on Midnight Special and making me turn it off. Todd had on one of those 70's jumpsuits which were cool at that time but this one made him look like he was naked. Dad said he didn't care if the outfit did have appliques or that I liked his music I wasn't going to watch that shit! lol We both got a big laugh out of that one and it felt like dad was right there with us :o) Towards the end Ashley wanted to see if she could get closer down front like we weren't close enough but I said ok and she was front row for one song which thrilled her. Ringo did all the songs you would imagine he would do plus The All Starrs did some of their past hits. A good time was had by all! 

We drove home with the top down letting our hair fly everywhere with Ringo blaring from the speakers! We even avoided a bit more rain.  It don't get no better than that!!






______________________________
Outfit details:
Me:
Skirt: Ralph Lauren
Shoes: eBay

Ashley:
Top:  My Ringo Starr T-shirt from previous concert I gifted to her
Shorts: Mudd
Flip Flops: Lauren Conrad













We all live in a Yellow Submarine :o)






Below are two pictures from RingoStarr.com. Photo credit goes out to Rob Shanahan on these. All above photos were taken by me except the one Ringo's team took of the crowd. You can see professional photos from the venue here. What a great show! Definitely go see Ringo and his All Starr Band if you get a chance!


Left To Right: Steve Lukather, Gregg Rolie, Ringo Starr, Todd Rundgren, Gregg Bisonette, Richard Page, Warren Ham
We loved all these guys so much!!!!

SETLIST:
Matchbox 
(Carl Perkins cover)
It Don't Come Easy 
(Ringo Starr cover)
Wings 
(Ringo Starr cover)
I Saw the Light 
(Todd Rundgren cover)
Evil Ways 
(Willie Bobo cover)
Rosanna 
(Toto cover)
Kyrie 
(Mr. Mister cover)
Bang the Drum All Day 
(Todd Rundgren cover)
Boys 
(The Shirelles cover)
Don't Pass Me By 
(The Beatles cover)
Yellow Submarine 
(The Beatles cover)
Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen 
(Santana cover)
Honey Don't 
(Carl Perkins cover)
Anthem 
(Ringo Starr cover)
You Are Mine 
(Richard Page cover)
Africa 
(Toto cover)
Oye como va 
(Tito Puente cover)
Love Is the Answer 
(Utopia cover)
I Wanna Be Your Man 
(The Beatles cover)
Broken Wings 
(Mr. Mister cover)
Hold the Line 
(Toto cover)
Photograph 
(Ringo Starr cover)
Act Naturally 
(Buck Owens cover)
With a Little Help from My Friends 
(The Beatles cover)
Give Peace a Chance 
(The Plastic Ono Band cover)



A BIG HAPPY 74th BIRTHDAY TO RINGO TODAY!!!

 
Ringo Starr official store
Ringo Starr stuff on Amazon
Ringo Starr stuff on eBay


2 comments:

  1. aww, I love this account - the family love for the Beatles getting passed on, and your g'daughter looking so ecstatic. I have a soft spot for Ringo too! Thanks for sharing your adventure with Visible Monday, xox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might be a Ringo girl :o) Thanks for stopping by. Always a pleasure to hear from you!

      Delete

It's so nice to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by!