The Nexus 7 tablet


I have been working lately transforming my blog into an actual working blog, not just a random post here and there. If I am going to do it I might as well do it right as they say! While doing so I have been researching ways to post easier and that's where technology comes into the mix. I work full-time plus an extra 10 hours in the evenings throughout the month, I'm married and have a needy puppy dog so time can be of the essence at times so the easier the better. I've come a long way in the last couple years, I now have my laptop, my wi-fi is set up (albeit slow), I have my smartphone with Mophie case for extra juice, and two cameras (one to carry around and one with different lenses). The next logical thing I needed was a tablet. Sounded so good to me I talked myself right into it! 

It takes time to learn each new thing so it can take me some time to get a handle on new things but in a little under two years I think I've come a long way. After getting something that makes life on the internet much easier I am then always amazed at why I waited so long. I wanted a tablet to be one of those moments. I'm happy to say it was! Since a tablet was something I wanted rather than something I felt I needed, or had to have, it was imperative that I stay within a reasonable budget amount. As far as content, my main concern was being able to download pictures for review so I could draft posts on the Blogger App. Even with a camera that has wi-fi built in, so I can transfer pictures to my iPhone without using my computer, it is still hard to see on either of those small screens if the pictures are really as good as I think they might be. Being a country dweller my satellite connection is extremely slow and can be more of a bother than a pleasure sometimes so I needed something to make it easier to look at pictures and work on draft posts at the same time. However, in looking at the best choice for me I noticed that most tablets do not have a SD slot for loading pictures or even a camera to take pictures (there is a camera for skyping on the Nexus 7 but I haven't used it). I knew there had to be a way to download pictures because I have certainly seen folks looking at pictures on their tablets. I was not concerned about taking pictures but more about getting my shots onto my device. I mean that was the main reason I wanted a tablet in the first place...gggrrr. In reviewing further I found out that with a simple cable, a memory card reader and an app my problem would be solved. I'm still learning the basics but I was able to copy my shots onto the tablet first try. Yay!

Since I have an iPhone and a slow wi-fi connection, I wanted an iPad with 3G capabilities (believe it or not the 3G is faster than the wi-fi although both are through Verizon). I also use iTunes quite often and all my apps are set up through Apple so I thought it would just be easier all around. Although, that notion went right out of my head when I saw the price ($629 was cheapest, plus monthly charges, yikes!). I certainly didn't need one that bad! lol Especially since I really could live without one. I was also unsure as to whether or not it would be something I would be able to use the way I wanted to or just be something that didn't work out the way I hoped. I also thought it would be nice to be able to read books and magazines (no internet connection needed), to be able to look at all my apps on a larger screen and play Angry Birds so I could actually see where those birds were flying to. Lots of pigs to be popped (I hate those guys after all!). It appeared I had a desire for more than just to work on my blog so after some prodding by my inner nerd I decided to do some more research to see if there was anything comparable within my budget which I was keeping at $200 or no go. Ok, let me be honest here, I probably would have went a bit more if need be but I am so pleased I did not have to with the Nexus 7.

I decided on the older version of the Nexus 7 which is powered by Google. It is on sale all over the internet and was perfect for my needs. 32GB at $199 with free shipping was a no-brainer for me. Within budget are two words I like to hear! Google sites are pre-loaded and ready to go with one sign-in. It even came pre-loaded with one of my favorite books, Alice in Wonderland. I was just saying awhile back, before I bought the tablet, that I would like to read that book again. I was really surprised when that was the free book included. Another one of those weird things that happen to me but that's another story for another time! To purchase items you go through Google Play which was easily set up and linked to my paypal account within minutes. I ordered The Colorado Kid , a Stephen King book which I have been unable to locate in stores. The series Haven is based on the book and with it returning with a new season it was first on my list to read. I also bought a subscription to Rolling Stone magazine and downloaded all my favorite apps. I also downloaded some music and a movie is next on my list. There is a new version of the Nexus 7 which just came out that some are calling the Nexus 7 2 which has better graphics, a camera and I'm sure other things that I don't know much about, which people really seem to like if you want to spend the extra money. The 32GB is selling for $269. For me the one I got is plenty good enough for me and I really love it! Let the blogging begin or continue as the case may be. What I want to know is why didn't I get one of these sooner? 

 

Not sure if you want one? Read an excellent review here.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by!