Lazy weekend treat ~ French Toast with Praline Topping



Around the household we've all been giving it our all not to be sick with a cold. It's one of those things where you don't feel bad enough to stay home in bed but you don't feel like doing anything either. To boot I don't think I've quite gotten used to daylight savings time. Even poor Fadra has been sneezing! We were kind of expecting our granddaughter so we hadn't made any plans but then she ended up spending the weekend with her family so a free weekend was at hand. Too bad we weren't up to getting out and drinking some green beer. You can see my post about St. Patrick's Day from last year here. I had bare legs and was thrilled on a spring day! This year I wasn't feeling too lively. To make matters worse it was a dreary, rainy day. Regular winter gear required. Since neither of us felt much up to doing anything in particular we just decided we wouldn't do anything at all. I can't remember the last time neither of us had anything that we had to do so why not make the best of it by just being lazy and enjoying each other's company. After all we had plenty of television to catch up on and the newest Total Recall movie waiting in an envelope from Netflix (btw, we both really liked the movie). The only thing I needed to do was go to the grocery and the couch was all mine.


One of the fun things about laying about the house is I like to cook a bit. I don't get much of a chance to cook much just for the two of us so once in a while I like to do something special and this was the perfect time for something smelling great in the oven. I first made this french toast recipe for my Christmas morning get together and everyone loved it! It is delish! One mistake I made was that I filled my pan a bit too full and it overran a bit. I didn't save that extra bread. I went ahead and threw it in the pan. It looked like I had room but I didn't think about the bubbling that would occur. I corrected that mistake this time so my oven is nice and clean. I also love pecans so I did add more of those to the recipe. My favorite syrup is Mrs. Butterworth's. I also love strawberries with this sort of dish. Oh and don't forget the bacon. Yum! Yum!



I don't eat alot of sweets but this is one of the best things you will ever eat! OMG so good! ♥ 



Ingredients

  • 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
  • 8 large eggs
  • 2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Dash salt
  • Praline Topping, recipe follows
  • Maple syrup 

Directions

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:

  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. 
foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-french-toast-casserole-with-maple-syrup-recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by!